Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Mind the gap

This week is the one month mark of being here!
I have been running around like crazy for the past month and the lack of free time is starting to catch up with me! During the week, it almost feels as though I am in St. Paul, running from class to class and trying to get everything done in time. On the weekends, I am trying to fit in as many things as I can because I know that my time here is limited and I will be leaving before I know it!

Sunday was really fun and spontaneous. My friend had seen a picture on Pinterest of a cute area of London that she wanted to check out, so we looked it up and decided to stop by. The area is called Neal's Yard and it is a small cove in the middle of London.  The area is really cute, has markets and malls. In Neal's Yard, there are a few small restaurants and a coffee shop. All of the buildings are brightly colored, it was a really fun way to start the day! Next, we went to Spitalfields Market. This was my favorite market so far. It is really interesting to see how each of the markets have their own personality. Spitalfields had a lot of aspiring clothes designers selling their items. I could have spent all day looking at their items, the clothes were so different than what we have in the US. Along with the stands, there are also small stores and little coffee shops.
Neal's Yard

Fascinators at the market


Monday was my second day of volunteering. It was a little shorter than it would have been because of a meeting at school, but we were still able to get a few hours in. I was at the reception desk this week and with much thanks to ReMax, I didn't have a hard time with it. I am very surprised with how much responsibility they give us. After about three minutes of an explanation of how everything works, I was on my own!

Palace I visited for Art History class


Since I have been here, I have noticed that they pronounce my name different than we do in the US, but within the past week, I feel as thought it has gotten worse.  They usually say it with a z instead of an s. Today in my Art History class, my teacher asked how I pronounce my name and said two different ways, neither of which was correct. I am not used to having a difficult name to pronounce! I have also learned that if the doors of the tube shut on you, they aren't like an elevator and open back up. I was in a hurry on my way to school one day when the doors of the tube shut on me. A man had to come and help by prying the doors open so I wouldn't be stuck in the door.

This week will be another busy one, I am going to see War Horse tomorrow, and headed to Scotland on Thursday for the weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment